FROM HIVE TO HOME
Natural, Sustainable Living
Friday movie night has become a recurring event in our house lately. After a busy week with work and school it's so nice to relax on the sofa with candles and a roaring fire. This Friday the Late Late Toy Show is on and I'm sure many will be glued to the TV. Christmas kicks off for our family with this show and a very excitable 6, 7 and 39 year old! The cheesier the better for me! Anyway, we will be making a big batch of flavoured popcorn so I thought I'd share 3 delicious flavour combinations.
1. Orange and cinnamon
Christmas flavours - Pour melted butter with a squeeze of fresh orange juice over popcorn. Add grated zest of orange and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Do you have a half cut orange left over? You can keep it covered and fresh in one of Millbee's beeswax wraps. The wraps are ideal for covering your lemons and grapefruit too!
2. Toffee popcorn
A favourite for those with a real sweet tooth! Melt 25g butter with 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp golden syrup. When the sugar dissolves pour over popcorn.
3. Honey and sea salt
Sweet and salty - a perfect match! Melt 25g butter with 2 tsp honey. Pour over and sprinkle some sea salt. We love Achill Island Sea Salt.
A fun way to eat your delicious snacks using Millbees beeswax wraps.
Turn our medium size wrap into a cone by grabbing a corner and folding into cone shape. You can fold down at the top to secure. These cones are handy for many other snacks such as pretzels or crisps! The beeswax wrap cones give a fun snacking experience for kids and they are reusable too!
For some of us, school lunches can be a bit of a challenge. Kids can go through phases of disliking certain foods or sometimes wanting what their friends have. It's not easy trying to please all the time! One thing I try to do is to offer options and to vary lunches from week to week. Also considering the negative impact single-use plastic has on our environment I thought I'd share 5 ways to make your child's lunch plastic-free. So instead of using clingfilm, snack packs, and plastic yogurt pots which all contribute to polluting our landscapes, oceans, and rivers, here are some alternatives:
1. Swap single-use water bottles for reusable water bottles.
2. Use a lunch box with compartments for chopped vegetables or fruit. Vegetables such as carrot sticks, cucumber, and sliced sweet peppers make great healthy snacks too!
3. Instead of plastic yogurt pots use recycled small jars (best for older kids) or smaller reusable tubs. You can fill these with chopped or stewed fruit, granola, rice pudding or even hummus (for dipping with bread or vegetable sticks)
4. Swap plastic utensils for stainless steel, BPA free plastic, or bamboo cutlery.
5. Swap clingfilm for beeswax food wraps. Beeswax food wraps are ideal for wrapping lots of foods such as sandwiches, wraps, scones, fruit, or vegetables. You can even make beeswax wrap pouches for easy snacking on the go!
If you would like to try Millbee's beeswax foods wraps today you can get 15% off a variety pack when you buy a lunch pack. Just use the code BTSSAVE15 at the checkout page (online only on millbee.com). Offer ends 10th September 2020.